Home Attractions Wills Memorial Tower of Bristol University

Wills Memorial Tower of Bristol University

The Wills Memorial Tower of Bristol University is in Queens Road, At 215 feet, it is twice the height of the Cabot Tower and much more solid and grandiose. The tower, designed by George Herbert Oatley, is constructed from Bath and Clipsham stone.

Officially opened by King George V in 1925, the Wills Tower has been called the last great Gothic building to be constructed in England. It was commissioned and paid for by sons of the first Chancellor of the University, Henry Overton Wills, in his memory.
The interior of the entrance hall with its panelled stone walls and fan vaulting rises to 75 feet   
    
The Memorial Tower is crowned by the Octagonal Lantern, an open structure designed to let the sonorous tones of its bell, Great George, flood the city with sound. The Lantern is home to a veritable tribe of grotesque heads.

In 1873 Dr Percival, headmaster of Clifton College had published a pamphlet stating that universities should be provided in large towns and support was gradually obtained for the opening of university facilities in Bristol. As a result, University College, Bristol opened in October 1876

At first the old Deaf and Dumb Institute in Park Row was rented, but buildings, of Stapleton stone with Bath stone dressings, designed by architect C W Hansom, were erected in what was known as Tyndall's Park. The first section of this was opened in 1880, the eastern side in 1883.

The stretch of grass next to the Wills Memorial Building was turned into a garden to commemorate the university's centenary. Created by Anne de Verteuil, a former student it was opened by Sir Roy Strong in May 2009.
Bristol Hotels, Hotels in Bristol, Places to stay when travelling Bristol, Hotel Bristol United Kingdom, Bristol Accommodation, Accommodation for Visitors in Bristol