Home Attractions St Augustine the Less

St Augustine the Less

St Augustine the Less was founded by the canons of the Augustinian abbey or college as a chapel for people who lived in houses on abbey lands but outside the actual abbey close.

 It was known as 'the Less' to distinguish it from the collegiate church of St Augustine (now the Cathedral) which was reserved for the use of the canons.

St Augustine the Less was rebuilt several times in succeeding centuries. The tower was built at the cost of the parishioners. It was considered to be quite a small parish but even so in 1708 the east end was pulled down and the building was extended into the churchyard by 13 feet.

In the Perpendicular style it consisted of a chancel, nave and two aisles and a three stage tower.

Along with other Bristol churches, St Augustine the Less suffered bomb damage during the Second World War. Although this was confined mainly to the roof, it was decided to demolish the building. The congregation size had fallen even before the war, due to people moving from the centre of the city out to the suburbs and in 1938 the parish had been united to St George's, Brandon Hill. The church was therefore demolished in 1962 and the site is occupied by the extension to the Royal Hotel.
Bristol Hotels, Hotels in Bristol, Places to stay when travelling Bristol, Hotel Bristol United Kingdom, Bristol Accommodation, Accommodation for Visitors in Bristol